5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money....Why?
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Seagate Expansion 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST905004EXA101-RK (Personal Computers)
UPDATES IN THE LAST PARA

I have clarified a few things that other reviews had issues with and gave it a low rating.

For Starters: Since I use Both Mac & PC, I can 1000% say that it works on both these operating systems.

Some customers had issues with the drive going into sleep mode after 10 mins or so. Well, the copying process does not stop, just because the drive has gone into SLEEP mode.

You can take this SLEEP feature off by:

Process 1: Downloading a Free Seagate Manager program available on the Seagate website.
(I did not do this, I used process 2, described next)

OR

Process 2: Formatting the drive and remove the pre-installed Seagate software. Then the drive will NOT go to SLEEP Mode.

How to Format a Drive in Windows:
Plug the Drive --> Go to My Computer --> Right click on the Seagate icon--> Click "Format"

How to Format a Drive in Mac 10.4 or earlier:
Open Macintosh HD --> Click Applications --> Click Utilities --> Open "Disk Utility" --> Select the Seagate disk listed on the Left Side --> Click "Erase" tab --> Choose Volume Format to "MS-DOS" (I chose this so that I can use it on Windows & Mac).

(For the newer MAC 10.6.1 or later, I guess Format is : "Mac OS Extended (journaled)", as rightly pointed out to me by a learned customer IB...Thanks dude!)

Design: Compact & Sleek. Little bigger than the iPhone, but lighter than the iPhone (8GB)

Connection: NO A/C Power outlet needed. Only single USB port is needed, everything provided in the box. So you just take it out and plug it and use it.

Compatibility: Both PC & Mac. Although on the box it says "FOR PC", it was detected by my MAC and will work with both.

Size: Though it says 500GB, we get 465.35GB. And this is the case with most hard drives.

Speed: Forget about the specifics - it is FAST!!

Well worth your money, right!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many customers have asking me why the format process did not work for their Mac?

The reason is, I have a Mac version 10.4.1 and I clarified that in the review.I guess there are a few changes for 10.6.1 and I added that too. If your MAC OS does not fit the description, the best way to start is by finding out OS version of your MAC & then search online on how to format it OR take it to an apple store.

Basically, the STEPS on how to format remain the SAME. But you might find some different Volumes Format based on your OS version. Volume Format will change as new Operating Systems (OS) keep sprouting.

When I bought this drive, there was not a single review which spoke about MAC Compatibility, let alone the other issues. But I took the risk and bought it for $100 or so.

Also, if you compare other reviews vs. mine. My review does not speak about how many songs I have on my drive, who gifted me this, how my life has changed with the new drive, how my office folks like it, how it fits in my pocket although the it is a trouser from my high school.

No offense, they are good individually. What I mean is....one review answer about plug n play....another spoke about light weight (by how much they didnt say)...another complained SLEEP issue...But none answered MAC compatibility, Format, Weight etc

My review has even answered everything that can happen with this drive. (Except that "What will happen if it breaks down" :P )
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts